The main reason we wanted to cold turkey our added sweetener addictions was because added sweeteners are very pro-inflammatory. Inflammation and therefore, added sweeteners, are also linked to every modern chronic life-threatening disease on the planet. If we wanted to make the third act, the best yet, we had to eliminate added sweeteners from our diets.
In the 1820’ s, Americans rarely consumed sweeteners. In the 1920’ s, an American consumed approximately 60 lb. of added sweeteners per year. Today we consume over 120 lb. of added sweeteners per year. That’s over 30 teaspoons per day.
As you probably noticed, I have lumped all manmade food that have added sugars into a food group we call added sweeteners. To make it clear, I am not talking about natural sugar that God has placed into our foods. I am only talking about refined sugars and artificial sweeteners that man has placed into our foods. In our next class I will address artificial sweeteners in more detail.
Added sweeteners are the first food group eliminated within the Mac Anti-inflammatory Elimination Diet. Its elimination will make us live longer, love ourselves more and assist us in preventing cancer, diabetes, heart disease and strokes. It will also give us the control we need to be succesful in life.
I know. You are asking yourself, how can eliminating added sweeteners make us successful?
I used to live for instant gratification. My first two acts of my life pleasure was my goal. The food industry played into my love for pleasure by adding sweeteners into nearly all manmade/processed foods. Added sweeteners stimulated our tastebuds, which have a direct link to our brains. Our brains love added sweeteners. It made our brains act like the monster in The Little Shop Of Horrors. When it wanted the buzz that added sweeteners produced it screamed FEED ME! FEED ME! The next thing we knew, we were feeding it and feeding it, doing everything we could to appease the monster. This monster that so desired to be fed tricked us by:
- Turning our added sweetener consumption into a habit.
- Exacerbating our thirst so we would drink sodas ladened with added sweeteners.
- Causing energy crashes that made us reach for added sweeteners to refuel quickly.
- Releasing happy hormones that made us desire added sweeteners even more so.
- Causing the parasitic bacteria within our gut crave added sweeteners.
When we added all of this up, we ended up with a sweetener addiction. Addiction is defined as continuing with a behavior or substance despite life-damaging consequences. We had become physically and emotionally attached to the initial elevated feeling added sweeteners gave us. Added sweeteners caused us to behave in the same way nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, cocaine, or opiates did. And just like those addictive substances, we needed greater amounts of added sweeteners to achieve the same initial result. Anyone who has struggled with addictions know what I am talking about.
The pleasurable feelings we get when we partook in sweeteners were caused by a neurotransmitter called dopamine. Blood sugar spikes caused dopamine to be released in a specialized area in the brain that caused temporary pleasurable feelings and energy bursts. By us continually consuming added sweeteners, we also conitnually had dopamine being released. We eventually created a resistance to dopamine. Dopamine resistance is in reality a loss of our dopamine receptor sites. Since we had less receptor sites, the body craved more added sweeteners to get its normal buzz. It took more and more of the added sweeteners to create the same high.
I had mentioned earlier how sucrose is made up of glucose and fructose. One of the problems of fructose is that it shuts down the effectiveness of our hunger hormone called ghrelin. What this means is that if you consume a lot of sweeteners, you will shut down the hormone that tells you that you are no longer hungry. Now, you are not only addicted to sweeteners, but you are also constantly hungry.
Cocaine was first used by climbers in Peru. They would chew on the leaves and this improved there performance to climb tall mountains. Then man started to refine the coca leaves and the world has become a worst place because of it. By refining the coca leaves, it made the cocaine much more concentrated and stronger. The same has happened to sweeteners. We took sugar cane and refined the sugar from it. The world has become a much unhealthier place since.
You see, God put sugar in an apple. He put 19 grams of sugar within it. He also placed over 4 grams of fiber within that apple. The fiber slows down the absorption of the sugar. Man places 44 grams of sweetener in one soda pop and there is no fiber to slow down the absorption. And most people that drink sodas, do not drink just one per day. They may drink several. How many apples do we eat in a day? We definitely do not eat a six pack.
Ok, you knew we had a problem with sweeteners. Here is what we did to break the addiction we had to sweeteners.
Whenever we thought of eating something sweet, we hit the pause button. Remember that naked space I talked about in a previous class.
Could you review that? Kimmie asked.
You bet. The backbone of The HOPE Protocol is:
That space between each of these I call the Naked Space. It’s that space where you stand naked and vulnerable. Sweets make me happy, both psychologically and physiologically. This happiness makes me want to take the action of eating foods that have added sweeteners.
What vicky and I have done is to trained ourselves is to hit the pause button while in that naked space. We paused between the thoughts and feelings or between our feelings and actions. We paused and instead of thinking how delicious that soda would be, we took control of our thoughts. We would replace the thought or feeling of sweet contentment and think instead about how:
- The soda’s calories were completely empty. They were worthless! They would cause me to acquire cancer. Cancer loves insulin. The higher your insulin levels would go the higher chance we would have of promoting cancer growth within our bodies. We knew that Sweetened food was the number one food we consumed that increased our insulin! Sweetened food also fed all the other chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, strokes, Alzheimers, hormonal disruption and obesity. People who eat the most sweetened foods are the people with the most fat.
- The soda’s calories would feed the bad bacteria within our mouths. Sweetened food feed the parasitic bacteria causing them to multiply. These bad guys would get into my gums and make my breath stink. They would cause my teeth to rot, and then I would think about how if I ate the sweetened food I would have to have a dentist stick a syringe into my gums.
- The soda’s calories are filled with fructose. Real sugar is 50% fructose. If they are using, which nearly all soda companies do nowadays, High Fructose Corn Syrup, the percentage is even higher. Since our cells can’t use fructose, the liver has to metabolize it. The liver converts the fructose into fat. Fructose is turned into VLDLs, the bad cholesterol. When too much is made, these bad cholesterol particles become stuck in the liver and our arteries. This leads to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD), heart attacks, and diabetes. It has been shown that people with NAFLD eat 2 to 3 times more fructose than those that do not have the disease. If my liver is filled with fat, it can’t properly convert or activate my hormones. Balanced Hormones keep me looking and feeling great!
- The soda’s calories will cause me to become insulin resistance and resistant to other hormones. When we have too much sugar in our blood, the insulin cannot work fast enough, and the cell’s receptor sites become glycated, caramelized, and this causes them to actually die. With less receptor sites functioning on the cell’s membranes, the more glucose is left in the blood, which causes more receptor site death and so on and so on. The problem is that the cell’s other receptor sites are affected. This causes not only insulin resistance but also thyroid resistance, testosterone resistance, leptin resistance, etc. Sweeteners can cause a resistance to most hormones.
- The soda’s calories make me have less and less control. Sweetened foods cause dopamine to be released, the same chemical that recreational drugs release. This is how we become addicted. This is why it is so very important to break the sweetened food habit first. We have seen the same type of withdrawals from quitting sugar as you will see from tobacco, and cocaine.
Whenever we want some sweetened food? STOP! Stop within that naked space and think of the things above. YOU CAN DO IT! We did it. Now we only eat foods with added sugar when we are having a hedonistic meal. We believe in hedonistic meals and we will teach you more about them once you hit your health goals in Phase TWO.
The last step we took was we supplemented our diet with L-Glutamine. It has been discovered that L-Glutamine promotes athletic performance, digestive health, neurological health, and muscle growth. We also know that many of our clients use it to prevent cancer and to keep their blood sugar in control. The primary reason we used L-glutamine was because it curbed our cravings for sweetened foods. To purchase the L-Glutamine we used to curb our cravings for sweetened food from Amazon, click below!
The Macs, Developers of The HOPE Protocol
Teaching you how to be healthy and happy through HOPE.
- Hormone Balancing
- Organic Lifestyles
- Purging Toxins
If you are interested in the HOPE Protocol, for a very limited time, we are offering a 3 session coaching package at no charge. Due to our busy schedule we can only accept a few each week, so schedule quickly to assure a time convenient for you. This FREE package includes 3 coaching sessions, the first 2 courses with their weekly plans of actions, and 24/7 encouragement through texting.
We will also explain why you may be saying;
“I just do not feel right, I know that there is something wrong, but no one seems to know why. I have life altering fatigue, low moods, brain fog, hair loss, loss of sex drive and I can’t lose weight no matter what I do, and the only time I am happy is when I have 4 walls, a closed door and I am left friggin alone!”
We have celebrities, professional athletes and physicians on our protocols. We have clients throughout the United States and inquiries from all over the world. The Macs are on a mission to induce happiness through health optimization.